6 days ago
To register for the 2017-18 school year you must attend the next parent orientation, scheduled for August 10, 2017, at 6:00 pm in the Standard Elementary cafeteria.
In order for your child to attend and/or be placed on a waiting list for the sites that are already full, the Parent Orientation is mandatory. The next Parent Orientation is:
August 10, 2017--Parent Orientation, 6:00 PM at the Standard Elementary Cafeteria (corner of N. Chester and Minner)
This is the only orientation before school starts, so make sure you attend if you wish for your student to have the opportunity to attend on the first day of school. Subsequent orientations will be scheduled after the first week of school.
IMPORTANT X-FACTOR DATES & NEWS
We are excited to introduce to you our new X-Factor coordinator, Mr. David Stricker. He will be taking over as of July 31, and all correspondence can be directed to him. We are also looking forward to a lot of great and innovative things continuing to happen in our X-Factor programs across all sites.
May 26, 2017--Wingland Magician Show; Highland Puppet Show, SMS Water Day
May 29, 2017--Memorial Day, School closed, no X-Factor
May 30, 2017--Wingland Pool Party, 3:00-5:00 PM, NOR Pool at North High. Make sure your permission slips are signed!!!
May 31, 2017--Standard El Water Day; LAST DAY OF X-FACTOR FOR 2016-17 SCHOOL YEAR
June 1, 2017--Last Day of School, No X-Factor
August 16, 2017--First day of School and first day of X-Factor
Each site had a spring showcase that was highly successful. Wingland had a display of art and projects that centered around the theme--"Under the Sea, Into the Sky, and Beyond." Parents enjoyed touring through the students displays. Highland and Standard Elementary had a parent interactive night which included a variety of activities that they could participate in with their child. Standard Middle School joined the regular day Open House Extravaganza to show off their art projects and fencing demonstrations. If you weren't able to participate in any of these showcases, make sure you check out our twitter feeds for pictures and comments.
We are looking forward to the fall and preparing for our fall showcases. More on that to come!
IMPORTANT COMMUNICATION INFORMATION
One of the best ways for us to continue meeting as many needs as possible in our school and district community is through good communication. If you have concerns and/or compliments for what is happening at your school's after-school program please feel free to contact one of our staff members.
X-Factor Twitter Account
Another way to keep informed about X-Factor is to follow us on Twitter @standardXfactor. Updates will be posted for each site. Check to see what special events are coming up, what activities the students have been experiencing, and any emergency information.
What is X-Factor?
X-Factor is a FREE 3-hour extended learning program for 1st through 8th graders that provides:
- Homework help
- Academic activities
- Physical Fitness activities
- Enrichment activities
- Daily Snack
Some of the activities that will be offered this year included puppet shows, music and dance, drama, science clubs, talent shows, arts and crafts, sports and active recreation, technology opportunities and much more. We will continue to partner with the Sheriff's Activity League for monthly activities, the Bakersfield Bike Club, Jam Basketball Team, NOR Water Agency, and many others community organizations. Students build confidence, relationships, and skills. For more information, contact David Stricker, 392-2110, or click here to e-mail him. Registration forms are available in the district office at 1200 N. Chester Ave.
- How do I get my student into X-Factor? You must fill out an application (available only upon attending the Parent Orientation). Each year those who are already enrolled will have first choice for the following year's enrollment. Those applications will be available through the X-Factor office on your site. Even if a site is full, you need to get your application in so that your child can be placed on the waiting list.
- How do I find out where my child is on the waiting list? You need to call the site supervisor for your child's school (see names and phone #s below). They will be able to let you know how many students are in front of your child for their grade level.
- How often can a student miss X-Factor before being dismissed? As long as students have an excused absense from the regular day, they have an excused absense from X-Factor. However, multiple excused or unexcused (more than 3) absences from the after-school program puts your child at risk of being dismissed. We want students who can benefit from the service as many days as possible. The decision will be made by the site supervisor after talking to the parents/guardians about the issues.
- Can I switch my child to a walker on certain days? Walkers must have signed written permission. Parents cannot call in permission for a student to walk. It is in the best interest of the child and the program for them to stay until pick-up time, especially after the time changes and it is dark ealier. Students who walk home miss some crucial enrichment time.
- Why do we have to show ID? For the safety of the students we check ID of everyone until the staff becomes familiar with the person who is picking the child up. If someone new comes (they must be on the list of approved people to pick up the child), they should expect to be asked to show ID. They will have to go back to their car if they are not carrying it with them.
Our Staff: We are ending the year ALMOST fully staffed. Most of our leaders and superviors are returning in the fall, but we will update the lists as we get the information.
|School||Site Supervisor||Program Leaders|
|Highland Elementary||Tracy Kisselburg|
392-2144 or 343-4308
|Malony Martinez, Jennifer Rodriguez, Catalina Lemus-Carrera, Christina Ruiz, Jacqueline Smith, Donita Marchel, Jessie Fallagan, Lupita Sandoval|
|Standard Elementary||Victor Monsibias|
392-2147 or 345-6823
|Kelsey Dunham, Arika Kisselburg, Ashley Ruiz, John Villenueva, Auzie Ward|
|Teresa Wyatt, Samantha Mayfield, Jennifer Huss, Kelly Rutter, Olivia Figueroa|
|Standard Middle||Zachary Griffin 345-7950||Matthew Garcia, Karina Aguirre-Lopez, Lindsay Harrison, David Flores|